Relevancy and relationships: A blog for the ages - for all ages.







Wednesday, February 24, 2010

If you can't say something nice...

No one has had more influence on my ability to parent my children than my mother, and I celebrate and honor her today, on her birthday!  My mother taught us to be nice.  That sounds so cliche'..."be nice", but it became the standard my siblings and I lived by and still live by today.  Being nice isn't always easy, but it is always right.  It allows you to be patient, tolerant, obedient.  It help you to understand others, to consider their feelings and to give freely and joyfully.  It calms a tempered spirit and brings peace to situations that could otherwise turn ugly.  Being nice has a way of bringing out the good in others, even when they have fallen short of being good.  It comforts and heals even those humiliated by their own words or actions.  At times, it may allow others to walk all over you, but know that the kindness you show may be the only thing holding them up!  Thank you, mother, for teaching me to be nice...for giving me this gift to pass on to my own children.  You are my hero, today and always!   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sweetheart. That teaching came from your grandmother, Janie Clements, "Mimi", who taught us all to be kind, tolerant, patient, loving and caring.

    ReplyDelete